Thursday, January 15, 2009

A couple of weeks in

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Or should I say, it was the best of intentions, and it was the worst of times. LOL

Yeah, not going too well for me at the moment. I just can't seem to pick up any momentum. I'm doing the same thing I've done in the past - breakfast starts out really well, lunch is okay, the rest of the work day is fine, then dinner and the evening happens...and I start snacking.

It's not how much I eat, it's what I eat. I mean, I have a container of plain low-fat yogurt in the fridge and frozen berries in the freezer so I could make a really yummy parfait, but instead I grab the mini Hershey bars or the Jelly Bellys. And the thing is, I'd really much rather have the yogurt. Why do I not take the time to do that for myself?

I crave comfort foods. Yogurt is not a comfort food, at least not for me. Chocolate is a comfort food. I watched Oprah's web cast with Bob Greene on Monday night and they said usually if you're an emotional eater (which I know I am) it's because something is lacking in your life. Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what's lacking in my life - love.

True confession time here - I have never been in love. I've been in lust, and I've been in like, but I've never been in love. I mean, I have a family and friends that love me, but I'm talking about the kind of love between a woman and a man. Friends and family just aren't a subsitute for that. So I try to fill the void with comfort foods - creamy, rich, mostly chocolatey, gooey foods that some people may say are better than sex.

Oprah and Bob also had you draw a circle and divide it into pie-pieces, with each representing an area of your life - family, work, relationships, etc. Then you had to put a + or a - in each pie piece, depending on whether that area was currently working for you. Mine were all negatives. *sigh* No wonder I can't lose weight!

So, what I need to do is find something to take the place of those comfort foods that I tend to reach for. What I should do is exercise, but sometimes when a chocolate craving hits at 10:45 and I'm going to bed at 11, it just isn't practical.

I think I'll go make a yogurt parfait...:)

No comments: